About Us The plan The Log The Boat Contact Us

Back to February 2001

Friday, March 1st • George Town, Great Exuma

This was a big day for Milo. He received a luxury mouse toy from Esper Bushek. Esper is the cat in charge of Yaquina. According to Lorraine, Esperanza is Spanish for hope. ...As in "I hope someday to live on land like a normal cat". The mouse, given the name Blondie Sandollar, wasn't a great hit at first. We awakened Milo from a sound sleep and expected him to pounce immediately. You know how cats are. They don't pounce until they're ready... usually at about 3:00 a.m. while the crew is trying to sleep. Blondie has the makings to become quite a favorite with the Big M. We'll see.

Yaquina Jim wins at Skip-Bo once again. He always tries to look like he's falling asleep, but we know differently. We moved the boat over to Sandollar today for a little peace and quiet.

Saturday, March 2nd • George Town, Great Exuma

We moved back over to Regatta Point in order to facilitate more errand running. I talked to my friend Linda W. back in Mass. She's going to bail me out by filing for my tax extensions. Bless her.

Our tenants want to stay in the house through September so we quickly called Pat at Boston Shipyard and secured summer dockage.

I trundled myself off to the Eileen Quinn concert at Chat N' Chills this evening. Eileen sings songs about cruising. Titles include; "The Anchoring Dance", "Piranha Pot Luck" and "If I Killed the Captain (who would know?)". As usual, became extremely wet on the dinghy ride home. Roger had to wring me out before hauling me aboard.

Sunday, March 3rd • George Town, Great Exuma

There was a brief break in the weather today. Yaquina took the opportunity to head north for the more northerly Exumas. Their guests arrived yesterday and were eager to get some sailing in. We're still hoping to get south so we're waiting for a longer weather window.

Monday the 4th, Tuesday the 5th, and Wednesday the 6th • George Town, Great Exuma

Frontal free-for-all. No good for getting much of anywhere.

Thursday, March 7th • Conception Island

The weather finally cooperated today. We headed out of George Town, through North Channel Rocks, and made our final decision on a destination. The wind was out of the southeast, as it had seemed in the anchorage, so we headed northeast. Conception Island it was! The sail was very nice. Initially we thought we might have to go halfway and stop at Calabash Bay, at the north end of Long Island, and continue in the a.m. The wind turned out to be from a good enough angle that we were able to make the trip in one shot.

We were giddy about the weather, our return to Conception and generally being on the move again.

Friday, March 8th • Conception Island

All indications were that the weather was going to continue light E-SE for several days. A small part of our brains said "maybe we should try for the Jumentos again". A larger part of our brains said "stay and enjoy Conception Island because as soon as you head for the Jumentos the weather will sour".

So we did.

Today's activity was a walk to the beach on the far northeast corner of the Island. We packed up sandwiches (peanutbutter, after the overheated bologna sandwich incident) and water and headed ashore. We followed a cliff path for a fair distance before turning down a big hill into the "jungle". I let Roger go first to take care of any pathway spiders and boa constrictors (It's true, there are Bahamian boa constrictors. Albeit, small...) and I kept an eye out behind. Happily there were no encounters and we attained the beach unscathed. The scenery was quite different from that on the West Side. There was lots of good junk on the beach. On the West Side, where we anchor, the beach is pristine. I'm not sure whether visitors keep it clean or what the story is. We did find several hamburger beans as we meandered down the long stretch of beach as well as several five-gallon buckets set up as seats under the only shade tree overlooking the beach.

It was a great day of poking around in dramatic surroundings with wonderful weather to boot.

Saturday, March 9th • Conception Island

More glorious weather. Swam. Walked on the beach. The usual stuff.

Sunday, March 10th • Conception Island

This afternoon Roger took his fishing gear and headed out to the reef to get in a little trolling. I relaxed on the mother ship. After several hours he returned with one fish head. It seems Roger was accosted by a very large and hungry barracuda. Well not Roger exactly, but his catch. Apparently the catch languished in the water a bit longer than is wise and someone other than us had fish for dinner. Roger's eyes were wide as he described the incident. The words "vicious" and "huge" were used more than once, accompanied by frantic hand gestures.

It was pasta for dinner.

Monday, March 11th • Conception Island

Today we snorkeled on a nearby reef. Today's new sighting was squid. Actually four squid. They were lined up and staring at us. They seemed to change color from tan to purple and back.. It could have been that I was getting cold though.

There have been very few new arrivals at the Island in the past few days. We seem to be holding steady at about ten boats.

Tuesday, March 12th • Calabash Bay, Long Island

We knew we had to start thinking about heading back to George Town to get on with our provisioning for the trip home. We had a nice sail from Conception to Calabash Bay. Once we rounded Cape Santa Maria at the northern tip of Long Island the wind kind of petered out so we had to turn on the engine. We thought we would spend the night in front of Hog Cay but the fact that there was already someone there and that it was low tide (we'd probably bump) changed our mind for us. It was back up the two miles to Calabash. It's a place we like so it was no great crisis. Two other boats, which had been at Conception, were also in the Bay.

Wednesday, March 13th • George Town, Great Exuma

We had a terrific sail from Calabash to George Town today. The breeze was E-SE 12-16 and we were headed SW. We were moving. Made the 20 miles in 3 hours. About four miles before entering the North Channel Cut the GPS started to hiccough. I grabbed the handheld and frantically started inputting waypoints. The weirdness cleared up pretty quickly but it was a bit unnerving. Later we talked to Chesapeake and Sea Trekker who were behind us and they experienced the same thing. Satellite Glitchies I guess.

Thursday, March 14th • George Town, Great Exuma

Today we begin our provisioning for the trip home. Lots of schleping stuff. We think a friend of ours is going to make the trip across the stream from the Abacos back to the States with us so that's a load off. Lots to do in the next few days before we head north. Enjoyed my trip through Exuma Markets today. I encountered Louise of Abitibi. She's quite the foodie and she gave me her opinion on all sorts of stuff on the shelves as we went from aisle to aisle.

We saw Jake from Trepidation in Kidd Cove. He sails his boat down to Great Exuma from Ipswich, MA. every year and then his wife flies down to meet him. He's eighty-something.

Friday, March 15th • George Town, Great Exuma

When we turned on the engine to charge our batteries this morning we were dismayed. No water was coming out of the exhaust. This is not a good thing. We spent the day looking at a variety of possible culprits including the raw water intake strainer and the impeller. No luck. We changed the impeller for good measure and continued to hem and haw.

Yaquina returned from her forray up the Exumas. They had great weather and didn't lose either of their guests.

Saturday, March 16th • George Town, Great Exuma

Jim and Mike (one half of Yaquina's company) came over this morning to help with the engine diagnosis. I made a brief trip to town and when I returned the boat and it's crew were barely recognizable. Great piles of foul parts were strewn about and the guys were muck covered. In a strange way they seemed quite content.

Lorraine, Linda (second half of Yaquina's company) and I fled to the beach. We walked for miles and found lots of good shells. We ate lunch at the Peace & Plenty Beach Club, courtesy of Linda. We fortified ourselves and headed out for our walk home. Enjoyed the new nature path cut by P & P. Learned the names of several of the plants we see around. By the time we made it back to the harborside for pick-up it was 5:00 p.m. and we were pooped. Great Notions was looking much better and some headway had been made in narrowing down the problem. The most suspect part is the check valve in the exhaust hose leading to the muffler. It will be attacked further in the a.m.

This evening we headed to Volleyball Beach for the opening night activites of the Cruising Regatta. We arrived just in time to see the winning act of the lip sync contest. A woman clad in lots of dungaree, occassionally flashing glimpses of her undergarments while charging around the stage singing Oklahoma! Quite a hit I must say.

Following the lip sync contest was the highlight of the evening, the "Miss Regatta Pageant". The seven participants included representatives from each section of the harbor; Miss Red Shanks, Miss Monumental, Miss Gaviota Bay, etc... The event was MC'd by one Burt Farks. The beauties were a very hairy lot. Several sequined lovelies even sported beards. The winning contestant, Miss Gaviota Bay (also known as Bill of Salt Heart, hailing from PEI) captured the hearts of the crowd during the talent portion of the contest by lip syncing to Tim Curry's transvestite song from the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Following the Pageant there were fireworks (expired flares), a bonfire and much dancing. A fine time was had by all.

Sunday, March 17th • George Town, Great Exuma

Roger was up at the crack of dawn to meet Skip to continue the engine repair. He left the boat with the offending part in hand and headed north. He returned several hours later with the story of an exotic barge and catamaran outfitting operation. Apparently Skip knew that the barge, St. Frances, had a bench vice and that's where they spent their morning.

With the help of the bench vice the guys were able to extract the broken check valve from the hose, which Roger then spent the mid-day re-installing. Success!! We won't spend a lot of time dwelling on what the check valve was meant to check... Ah, cruising. Fixing your boat in exotic ports.

Monday, March 18th • George Town, Great Exuma

Today it's good-bye lunch with Skip and Cherylle, a visit with Yaquina, some last minute errands and we hope to be on our way tomorrow.

With any luck we'll update the log again when we reach Marsh Harbor, Abaco.

The Daylight Savings Update

It is Sunday April 7th at 9:53 EDT (formerly known as 8:53 EST, and also known as Dad's Birthday.) We're comfortably anchored near Governors Harbour, Eleuthera waiting for a high-pressure ridge to dissipate. This particular high-pressure ridge is delivering wind from the NE-E at 22-30 knots. This would translate to force 6/7 on the Beaufort Scale. Force 6 is considered to be a "strong breeze" and force 7 is considered "near gale". It seems to me that there is a bit of a gap between the description "strong breeze" and "near gale" that should be worked out by someone in charge.

Since it's either type or clean out a locker, I thought I'd take this opportunity to update the logs a bit. When we last left you, in mid-March, we were preparing to depart George Town, Great Exuma for our trip home. That was twenty days and many islands ago.

Tuesday March 19th • Rat Cay, Exumas

We had farewell sundowners with Jim and Lorraine on Yaquina last night. They presented us with a portion of the world's largest summer sausage and a bit of coral. I believe their recently departed guests left the sausage and they were merely trying to offload it. The coral represented gray matter which we all need more of on occasion. With any luck we'll catch up to Yaquina in the Abacos.

We departed George Town at 7:30 this morning headed for Rat Cay, which is about fifteen miles north. We were too busy coddling the engine as we left George Town to dwell on the fact that we would not be coming back. The sail was really nice and it felt good to be moving again.

We picked Rat Cay Cut because it is known for being forgiving. It faces south which prevents the build-up of seas from the prevailing easterlies. With an engine we are a bit suspect of, we thought that this was a prudent move. A prudent move it proved to be. The engine stopped spitting and started overheating just as we were entering the cut. Happily, we have learned to always keep a sail up when entering a cut. With the tide and the wind in our favor we suffered no problems and were able to anchor safely behind Rat Cay. This area is very uncrowded and beautiful. We had a terrific view of a blowhole on one of the nearby Cays as well as some exceptionally large plants, which looked like yucca. Sisal, perhaps? Rat Cay is located a few miles in front of Barreterre, Great Exuma. Barreterre is known for its agricultural prowess. Their harbor is very shallow. They must ship their produce via flat-bottomed mail boats.

Roger spent the afternoon tinkering with the engine. It seems that the cooling system is loosing its prime somehow.

Yummy burritos for dinner.

Wednesday March 20th • Rat Cay, Exumas SPRING!!

The wind was blowing harder than was forecast, so we spent the day sightseeing instead of moving north. We made our way to the big blowhole. It was really pretty cool. It sounded alive and angry. We made our way from the blowhole to a particularly fine swimming hole where we lounged around shelling and swimming for a while. From the high point of the island, where we stood at one point, we could count seven sailboats heading north. The exodus seems to have begun.

Thursday March 21st, • Jack's Bay Cove, Great Guana Cay

Before leaving Rat this morning we chatted briefly with a boat that had anchored near us the previous evening. "Between the Sheets" is from Sandbornton, NH. They were heading from the Caribbean to Hampton VA. They are big fans of the Caribbean 1500, which they have been involved with since it's inception.

We headed out Rat Cay Cut at about 7:30 a.m. headed for Cave Cay Cut. There was very little breeze, and what there was was behind us. We arrived at Cave in time to make the end of the incoming tide at around noon. We had to do a quick u-turn as we headed toward the cut because the engine was once again in a snit. Roger was able to quickly re-prime the system and back in we went for a relatively painless cut experience.

We wove our way though the shallows behind Cave Cay and made our way eventually to Great Guana Cay. We wound up anchoring outside of Jack's Bay Cove. It's a lovely spot made even better by the fact that we had it all to ourselves. We watched the sunset while listening to the "Community Announcements" on ZNS, the "National Radio of the Bahamas". Community Announcements are the radio equivalent of newspaper obituaries and legal notices. Amongst tonight's announcements, one Green Pea Rolle was asked to contact the National Insurance Board...

Friday March 22nd • Little Bay, Great Guana Cay

In the a.m. we went ashore to do some shelling and hiking in Jack's Bay Cove. I went off looking for a path to the oceanside, while Roger went in search of a way to the top of the hill in front of the anchorage. I managed to locate the ocean and Roger towered above me on a rock outcropping. Success! The tiny ocean beach was almost completely enveloped by two rocky arms. Any junk that made its way onto the beach was there for the long run. There was so much debris there you could have furnished a small apartment with it. I found a hamburger bean and saw a very long, needle-like fish swimming around in the little lagoon. Back on the Banks side of the island, Roger snorkeled while I shelled. At noon we moved the boat about 2 miles north to Little Bay, which has good northerly protection. What a beautiful place. We met a local who is trying to develop the land adjacent to the Bay. He's got his work cut out for him. He showed us the model of the planned development, which he keeps in his trailer on site. 140 homes and a marina are planned in the first phase... We have yet to see 140 homes in one place since we left Nassau.

We went for a walk at a beach with a cave on the oceanside, then returned to the Banks side and went swimming. The "BTS" folks showed up in the late afternoon. By the end of the day there were a total of four boats waiting for a bit of a front to pass through. Pizza for dinner.

Saturday, March 23rd • Big Majors Spot

The cold front was pretty much a non-event. The wind arrived at 1:20 a.m. but never got much above 20 knots from the NE. There was barely a ripple in the anchorage. Great protection.

We took off at about 9 a.m., headed around the corner for Black Point. We wanted to pick up some water and a loaf of local bread. We had tried this bread on the way down and it was worth a special stop on the way north. After getting water, Roger talked to some locals about the development going on at Little Bay while I was taken to the bread lady by a four-year-old.

After a successful stop we headed back out onto the Banks towards Big Majors Spot, our destination for the night. Big Majors is a beautiful, big anchorage known for the pigs that run wild on its beach. In the afternoon we took the dinghy around the corner to Staniel Cay. Staniel is a neat little spot with a couple of well-known marinas. The Island hosts a very popular Regatta every New Year's Day. We had a rum drink at the Staniel Cay Yacht Club and then watched the sharks and rays swim around the fish cleaning area. A fine time was had by all.

Sunday, March 24th • Big Majors Spot

Today was our trip to Thunderball Grotto. Anyone who has seen the 1964 James Bond movie "Thunderball" would recognize the setting. It's really very cool. It's basically an island with a cave under it. You swim under an overhang to get into the grotto and once you're inside, the cave is lit by sunshine coming through holes in the top of the island. There are tons of fish, all waiting to be fed. They tickle your skin as you swim around. You can swim out the back of the island and find less crowded snorkeling. We drifted with the current on this far side and saw a terrific array of flora and fauna.

Back on the "entry" side of the grotto we chatted briefly with the captain of a visiting megayacht who was waiting for his clients to return from their dive. He said that "Thunderball" is now out on DVD and that he had ordered it for the ship's collection. We nodded appreciatively then headed back to the boat.

In the afternoon we met a couple on an Ericson 38 from Portsmouth N.H. who are anchored nearby. We joined "Rhapsody" for the sunset after another round of engine fiddling. This is their second trip south and they really enjoy the Staniel Cay area. They asked whether we knew a boat called "Guardian" from Newburyport. We said that we did and that we hadn't yet seen them in our travels. They gave us the lowdown on Guardian, which has made its way to the Abacos. They mentioned that there was another Portsmouth boat, K2, in the general vicinity. It's a small world!

Monday, March 25th • Sampson Cay

After a morning of further engine diagnosing and tinkering (see Mechanic Designate's Note below) we moved north a few miles to Sampson Cay. On Sampson Cay there is a newly completed marina called the Sampson Cay Club. It's one of the first projects we have seen in our travels which seems to have been completed. It's really well done and I'm sure they'll be able to find people willing to pay to dock... not sailors maybe, but certainly some power boats. While we were getting water at the dock we met Kevin from K2. He was filling up his jerry jugs with dinghy gas. They are headed north back to Portsmouth and plan to be in the Abacos at the same time we are. With any luck we can hook up. (Side note: K2 is traveling with a 2-YEAR-OLD!!!)

The only thing the Sampson Cay Club lacked was a public phone. They were nice enough to let us use their one business phone to call home, charging us the going BATELCO rate.

On our way back to the boat we met a French couple and their teenage daughter wandering around the marina like we were. Their boat, a 52-foot aluminum sloop was anchored out near ours. They were quite unassuming... Then we compared travel notes. The only thing we had done which they had not was to sail Maine. They had sailed around Cape Horn. (No big deal, they said. You just sail behind a bunch of islands.) They had spent two periods of time living aboard in Seward, Alaska (including a winter-It wasn't that cold, they said.) They were heading back to France in May or June, they couldn't decide. They say that's the best time of year to cross. Who knew?

(**Mechanic Designate's Note: At this point, based upon input from Neal on Rhapsody, who had suffered similar ills with loss of prime, I focused attention on the raw water strainer. I used some silicone on the raw water strainer's O ring, which tends to harden up over time and also used some resin to seal the spaces around a long ago frozen drain plug in the strainer bowl as well. It's now appearing that all the work we did to remove any " back pressure" downstream from the impeller although it appeared to solve the problem was just allowing for the system to re-prime itself as soon as hose connections were disconnected and reconnected. So we're off again with the system appearing to work but alas I feel that we're not out of the woods yet. All interested parties are urged and welcome to email us with any thoughts as to why the spinning impeller ceases to pump water on an episodic basis. At this point we have:
- replaced the impeller blades
- inspected the impeller shaft bearings for lack of oil or water leakage
- confirmed water flow through the heat exchanger
- confirmed water flow through the mixing elbow
- removed a faulty check valve in the exhaust hose
- removed the muffler and flushed it to confirm flow
- re-sealed or tightened all connections in the raw water strainer
- cleaned the thru hull to the raw water strainer
- inspected all hoses in the system

All we are sure of at this point is that when water stops being pumped by the impeller, removing and reconnecting either the outflow hose from the impeller or the impeller pump face plate reestablishes water flow. Stay tuned and please pass along any ideas or experiences.)

Tuesday, March 26th • Bell Island, Exumas

We traveled from Sampson Cay north to Bell Island at about mid-day. Bell Island is our first stop in the Exuma Land & Sea Park on our way north. Like the National Seashore at home, people who owned property in the Park before it was a Park, can continue in residence. Bell Island, despite being in the park, has four very large but "relatively" understated dwellings. They are very modern and stark but their saving grace is that they sort of blend into the background because they are the same shade of green as the foliage on the Island. We anchored on the West Side of the Island. To our east was a beach, to our west was a (very) shallow sand bore. We were in what appeared to be a street of dark blue. Bell Island is between two very good snorkeling spots, the Rocky Dundas to the south one mile and the sea aquarium which is north about one mile. We hope to be able to see both of these over the next few days. The only thing that might put a kink in our plans is a cold front forecast for tomorrow night. We'll see.

Wednesday, March 27th • Bell Island, Exumas

In the morning we dinghied up to the northwestern corner of Bell to see if there was enough water to tuck around the top of the Island if necessary. It's possible at high tide...in good light. While we were getting ready for our snorkeling trip we saw a half-dozen kayakers camped out on Pasture Cay. They appeared to be the same group we saw sailing by Big Majors Spot the other day... could it be our friends at Adventure Learning?!

We had a great day for our dinghy ride down to the Rocky Dundas. There was absolutely no wind and we could see neat stuff on the bottom all the way down to the dive site. Although it was less crowded than Thunderball Grotto, the Rocky Dundas didn't seem as varied in flora and fauna. The underwater caves did have interesting stalactite and stalagmite formations that, I gather, are quite unusual. On our way back to the boat we noticed a nurse shark asleep next to a coral head. They're everywhere.

Thursday, March 28th • Emerald Rock Anchorage, Warderick Wells, Exumas

The good news is that the front stalled well north of us. The bad news is that we had a bumpy night anyway. In anticipation of the front we moved the boat further from shore because it shallows up pretty quickly and that's the way we'd swing in a front. The little strip of dark blue where we are anchored has a bit of current. We hadn't really noticed it the previous evening, probably because we were on fairly short scope. Once again, in anticipation of the coming front, we put out a bit more scope. This was at about 5:00 p.m.

Too much scope + current = bad things. Shortly after dinner we found ourselves keel wrapped. When you're keel wrapped, the anchor rode is wrapped around the keel and putting an incredible strain on the anchor. What happens, you ask? Generally you drag. This is exactly what happened. The boat started making fairly rapid progress to the north with the current. To the north and slightly west where the very shallow sand bore meets up with our anchorage. It was a bit of a scene. Lines flying. Second anchors being deployed. Make sure the engine is spitting! Give it gas. Get off the sand bore. All in the dark. Thankfully there was a full moon so we could see the pale color of the sand bore quite clearly. Of course the cat needed to be in the cockpit for the whole drill. Always in times of great messiness he presents himself, as if to watch. This all took about an hour. By ten p.m. we were re-anchored and lying fully clothed in the cockpit still anticipating a cold front.

So, in the long run, even though it never showed its ugly head the cold front caused us a great deal of aggravation. Needless to say we created a rode weight mere hours later.

In the morning, after rising somewhat leisurely, we headed over to the Sea Aquarium near O'Brien's Cay. It was a wonderfully hidden spot behind a big rock, with a few little mooring buoys for dinghies to tie up to. There was definitely a current running so we threw a line overboard to hang onto as we swam around. We saw a great array of fish and corals and sponges. There is no fishing allowed in the park so there are all sorts of fish you often don't see. We didn't stay all that long because we wanted to vacate our charming anchorage and head north to Warderick Wells.

The Emerald Rock anchorage behind Warderick Wells is big and beautiful and current-free (our number one priority today.) We arrived at about slack tide and were able to snorkel the coral heads around Emerald Rock. Saw huge lobsters (protected here) and giant grouper among other things. We headed over to the ranger station to pay for our anchorage. It seems they are charging only for moorings these days. Nice deal. We bought a children's book about the Park for Siri and Ronan.

Friday, March 29th • Warderick Wells, Exumas

Tonight is the opening ceremony for the CARIFTA (sp?) Games in Nassau. The folks on the National Radio Station have been promoting them for months. It seems that it is the track and field portion of an Olympic-like competition for Caribbean athletes under 21 years of age. Each country gets to host a portion of the Games. We look forward to listening to at least a part of the ceremony.

We went for a walk to Boo Boo Hill today. At the top of this hill on Warderick Wells, cruisers leave signs of their visit. It reminded me of the prayer flags at the top of Everest... a bit more secular of course. The signs are most often carved or painted and include a boat's name and the dates of its visit. One boat arrived short of materials and wrote their info on a pair of khaki shorts. We wondered how they made their way back down the hill without being spotted.

We saw the folks from Seaquel at headquarters. They have spent a week here volunteering. They say Warderick Wells is one of their favorite spots. We all made our way down to the dinghy dock and watched the seargent majors and a lemon shark swim around waiting to get fed. Seaquel thought this might not be a good place to hang your feet in the water. Spent a relaxing evening listening to the Carifta Games opening ceremonies on the radio.

Saturday, March 30th • Hawksbill Cay, Exumas

Another leisurely morning. Our planned trip was only about fifteen miles so there was no rush. Roger's back is still feeling iffy so we set only the jib. Still made pretty good time with 15 knots of E wind. This weekend there are some fairly extreme "Spring" tides. The spot we anchored was just on the edge of being too shallow, but we'll find out at low tide. After anchoring we took a walk past some loyalist ruins to a very long Ocean beach. Because the island is within the boundary of the Exuma Land & Sea Park, volunteers occasionally clean the beaches. This is a very nice thing but makes for dull beachcombing. It was a great afternoon for a little skinny-dipping.

The beach on the sound side where we left the dinghy had a less than desirable surface for leaving an inflatable. We may find ourselves pumping it up more frequently than we have had to in the past. The mother ship was bumping on the bottom a bit when we returned from our walk. With the tides especially low and the chart a hair off we were glad the bottom was sand.

The Bahamas won their first medal at the Carifta Games tonight. The Girls Under 17 400 Meter Sprint. The announcers had been sounding a bit desperate prior to this win.

Sunday, March 31 • Hawksbill Cay, Exumas • Easter

A quiet day aboard Great Notions. We moved briefly to the southern anchorage to get a little more depth, but when we got there it was really rolly so we turned around and came back to point A. We anchored further out, and with any luck will have a smoother night.

We generally lazed about after this. Roger read and I polished a bean. For dinner we collaborated on a cabbage casserole.


To April 2002

Shango home